Install WordPress On Hostgator – Tutorial
There's a reason why WordPress is one of the most widely used blogging systems. It has an appealing, user-friendly interface and is simple to install. There are various methods to install WordPress at HostGator. We'll go through how to achieve it with Softaculous in this post.
To help you through the procedure, we made this simple video lesson. We'll then summarize those stages below. We are aware that installing WordPress might be difficult. Let our web designers create you a polished, mobile-responsive, SEO-friendly WordPress website, saving you time and aggravation! To learn more about our site design services, click here.
WordPress Installation With Softaculous
Make sure your domain is linked to your HostGator account before installing WordPress. Please refer to the article How Do I Point My Existing Domain to HostGator for details on how to point (connect) your domain to HostGator.
- Register with your cPanel.
- Select the Softaculous Apps Installer by going to the Software section.
- Hover your cursor over WordPress on the Softaculous home page and choose Install.
- Fill up the Choose Installation URL field in Software Setup.
- Choosing Protocol will ensure that your website is safe by utilizing the SSL certificate and should default to the https:// option.
- Select a domain: Choose the domain where Softaculous should be installed.
- In the directory, Normally, you'd leave this empty. If you're attempting to install WordPress in a subdirectory, use this field.
- Complete the installation configuration in its entirety. Select the WordPress version you wish to install. The most current version is advised since it will be the safest and should work with the majority of themes and plugins.
- You must add a Site Name and Description in the Site Settings section. After installation, you may modify this to anything you choose.
- The Admin Account section must be finished.
- Admin Login: Since the default username for all WordPress installations, we advise against using the word “admin” as it is a security concern.
- Administrator Password The key symbol allows you to create or generate a password.
- WordPress alerts, such as password resets, will be delivered to the administrator's email address (if you forget your password).
- You may choose the site's default language using Choose Language.
- You may choose which plugins to use for your site under the Select Plugin(s) section.
- The settings in the Advanced Options area may be left alone, but they include the database name, table prefix, setting auto-upgrade, disabling email update notifications, and more.
- You may choose a theme for your site using the Select Theme option. WordPress by default, uses a theme with the same name as the year, but you may change it to one that better serves your website's objectives.
- Click Install after finishing. Once the installation is completed, a progress bar will update your installation status. While this happens, don't shut the browser since doing so can stop the installation.
- Congratulations! You may now modify your WordPress website!
You've decided to use WordPress to create a website. You're now searching for a hosting company with the storage, bandwidth, and support required to swiftly and efficiently build and operate your website. You're in luck since HostGator satisfies every need.
With HostGator, you can manage your WordPress site with unlimited bandwidth and storage, free email hosting, migration services, and premium support. WordPress may be installed quickly, and you can then launch your website. Let's look at how to use HostGator to build a WordPress site from scratch.
Go to HostGator and choose the hosting package that best suits the requirements and objectives of your website. Starter, regular, and business are the three different sorts of plans. If your site is new, you may wish to start with the basic plan and upgrade later.
After choosing a hosting package, you may transfer an existing domain, buy a new one from another vendor, or register a new one with HostGator. When you join up, a login link and your username and password will be provided to you. This information will be used to log into your account via your control panel.
The procedures below must be completed after you are in your cPanel.
- Click the QuickInstall tool under the Software section.
- Make your selection under Site Builders & CMS > One-Click Installs on the left side of the screen.
- Choose WordPress.
- Utilize the drop-down option to choose your domain.
- Complete the form below.
- Enter the name of your website under the Blog Title.
- Enter your desired username under “Admin Username.”
- Put your first and last name here.
- Put a functional email address in the Admin Email field. Your admin password will be emailed to this address.
- The box next to the Terms of Service Agreement should be checked.
- Click the Install button to finish.
When your installation is finished, check your email for a link to your WordPress dashboard and your WordPress username and password. Something along the lines of https://mysite.com/wp-admin will be the connection. Log in by clicking it.
How To Set Up Your WordPress Site
Step 1: Modify Your WordPress URL
It's critical that your website's name and location be recognizable and trustworthy to your visitors. Therefore, the first thing you should do after installing WordPress is to ensure your site isn't redirected to another one or using the incorrect domain name. If so, you may:
- On the left side of the page, in the sidebar, click Settings.
- Choose General.
- Put https://yourdomainname.com in the WordPress Address and Site Address boxes.
- To save changes, click.
- You may also check the accuracy of the Time Zone and Email Address boxes on this page.
Step 2: Modify Your Permalink Configurations
WordPress by default, employs URLs that are filled with digits and asterisks. Although effective, they are difficult to remember and might perplex your visitors. Instead of https://www.yourdomain.com/??123p=3, https://www.yourdomain.com/about could be a more appropriate URL for your About page.
- Your permalink structure may be modified in four simple steps.
- On the left side of the page, in the sidebar, click Settings.
- Choosing Permalinks
- Click Post Name or the format of your choice.
- To save changes, click.
Step 3: Choose Your WordPress Theme
You may install dozens, perhaps hundreds, of free and paid themes on your website without writing a single line of code. If you're just starting to develop your site, you may wish to explore hundreds of free themes in the WordPress.org Theme Directory. However, if you are certain that you need a theme with additional features, you may browse premium themes at websites like StudioPress and Themify, among others.
- Pick a theme you like, download it, and then go back to your WordPress dashboard.
- On the left side of the page, click Appearance in the sidebar.
- Choose themes.
- At the top of the screen, choose Add New.
- Click the Upload Theme button after that. The theme may be found in an a.zip file on your PC.
- You may see the themes you added and uploaded to make a more focused decision.
- Click the Activate button after you've made your decision.
- You may change it once it has been engaged.
Step 4: Use Plugins To Customize Your Site
To increase the functionality of your site, there are thousands of both free and paid plugins available. The WordPress plugin directory, which will provide a list of all your free alternatives directly in your dashboard, can be a good place to start your search. This is how:
- On the left side of the page, in the sidebar, click Plugins
- Choose Add New
- Find a plugin you like by browsing the archive of plugins
- Select “Install Now” from the menu
What's this? With HostGator, you simply build a WordPress website from scratch. Even though there is still plenty to accomplish, such as creating blog entries and installing plugins, you're off to a terrific start. Please allow me to give you a pat on the back.
Do you have questions about using HostGator to install WordPress? Are you worried that it will be challenging or time-consuming? Launching a WordPress site with HostGator is simple, and we'll take you through the process in this non-technical tutorial.
Are You Tired Of Scams?
In our study on WordPress-specific hosting, HostGator received 4.6 out of 5 stars, placing it second only to WordPress powerhouse Bluehost. We were blown away by HostGator's outstanding uptime, features, and support. For your benefit, it also received points for its simple one-click WordPress installation. Here is a brief summary of each stage we'll be looking at in this manual:
Summary For Installing WordPress On HostGator
1. Go To HostGator First
Visiting HostGator's website is the first and easiest step. Several hosting plans and products are available, so it may seem a bit daunting when you first arrive at HostGator's site.
Avoid being drawn in by alternative hosting options and go to the WordPress hosting page. The WordPress hosting from HostGator has tools specifically designed to assist you in managing your WordPress website. You may choose your plan after you get to HostGator's WordPress hosting website; more on that later.
2. Select A HostGator Plan
Before you begin, you must choose the WordPress hosting package that best meets your requirements. There are three options, with monthly prices ranging from $5.95 to $9.95. Don't worry; a one-click WordPress setup is included with each plan. All plans also include a free domain name, a free SSL certificate, and a 45-day money-back guarantee so you can join up without risk. Here is a short breakdown of the prices for each plan for a 12-month contract:
- Starter package: $7.95 per month, payable yearly
- Plan standard: $9.95 per month, payable yearly
- Plan d'affaires: $11.95 per month, payable yearly
Prices on HostGator's website may vary; they are often shown for 36-month contracts since they are the least expensive. We provide the 12-month costs since they are a more practical choice because we know that 36 months is a significant commitment.
The Starter package should provide enough functionality to get you going for new WordPress websites. You could want a more sophisticated strategy if you're in charge of many websites or anticipate receiving more than 100,000 visitors each month. Once you have decided which plan is ideal for you, click “Buy Now” to proceed with the transaction.
Three Questions to Ask to Determine the Best Plan for You:
- How many websites are you launching? One site is permitted under the Starter plan and up to five on the Business plan.
- What number of visits do you anticipate per month? Up to 100,000 visits may be accommodated monthly on the Starter plan; 500,000 can be adjusted on the Business plan.
- How much can you spend? Make sure to choose a plan within your budget since there's no use in paying for things you can't afford. Be careful to examine the cost of renewal as well!
3. Obtain A Domain Name
Click “Buy Now” after selecting your plan. On the sign-up page, you may confirm your plan and go through the features it includes. Registering your domain name is the first step on the sign-up page. A free domain name is included with all of HostGator's plans for a full year, which is a fantastic benefit!
Enter the desired domain name into the WordPress Domain search window, then choose your favorite from the list that displays. If the domain you want isn't available, you may look for alternatives until you discover the one that's suitable for you.
Three Questions to Ask When Choosing a HostGator Domain:
- Does it apply to your website? To prevent misunderstanding, it is ideal for your domain name to be related to the name of your website. For instance, websitebuilderexpert.com is our domain name.
- Is it enduring? To make it simpler for people to discover, keep it brief, straightforward, and easy to spell.
- Is it distinct? Don't add a number to the end of your domain name if it's already taken, or use a slightly alternative spelling. Be original and reconsider your domain name!
How to Use An Existing Domain Name:
- Click the “I Already Own This Domain” link on the right side of the screen if you already have a domain name that you like and want to utilize on your new WordPress website.
- Enter your domain, and HostGator will identify it as the principal domain linked to your hosting plan.
- Even though a list of prospective free domains will still be shown to you, you are free to dismiss it if you don't want a new domain.
- After selecting your domain, scroll down to finish setting up your HostGator account.
4. Finish Creating Your HostGator Account
The next step is to check the specifics of your hosting bundle after selecting your domain. On the left, choose your plan and the number of sites you are hosting. On the right, select the duration of the contract.
If you desire a shorter subscription, adjust the default contract term of 36 months. Before continuing, it's crucial to confirm that these facts are accurate since choosing the incorrect plan or payment cycle may cause some unwanted (and costly) surprises.
If you are satisfied with your plan's specifics, including the renewal date and cost, continue filling out the form. You must submit your billing information after creating your HostGator account. You will need an email address, password, and security PIN. PayPal or a credit card are also options for payment.
The only thing left to do is to decide the add-ons you want. Your plan's complimentary add-ons will automatically be chosen, but you may opt to pay more for a more sophisticated SSL.
Review your order information at the bottom of the page for a moment. Click “Checkout Now” to proceed with your HostGator WordPress hosting once you have verified everything. When you've finished, keep an eye out for an email from HostGator that contains your cPanel login information.
5. One-Click WordPress Installation
Use your new login information to access your Customer Portal, then go to your dashboard in the left-hand menu. You will see a sizable banner with the words “Welcome, (Your Name)” and the button “Create Website.” Select “Create Website” from the menu. The phrase “Build your site using WordPress” will appear on a new page. A new button with the word “Get Started” will appear; click on it to begin the installation process.
After you click Get Started, HostGator will start setting up WordPress on your behalf. While you wait, you’ll likely see a blue screen with several loading bubbles and a notice that reads, “Creating your WordPress account…”
But this shouldn’t last for long! HostGator will have completed installing WordPress in a few minutes. A screen displaying your new username, password, and WordPress login information will appear so you can start creating immediately.
You’ll need your login and password in a moment, so copy them into a text document before leaving this page. Click the “Go to WordPress” button at the bottom of the page after you have copied your username and password.
Your destination will be a WordPress login page. To log in, enter the login information you just copied! You will be directed to your new WordPress dashboard to create your website!
6. Integrate Your Domain
Go to your HostGator dashboard, where you began, to link your domain name to your new WordPress website. It will now look somewhat different since your new WordPress website may be seen in the “My Websites” section. Under your WordPress website, you'll find two buttons: one that says “Edit Site,” and another that reads “Connect Domain.”
Select “Connect Domain” from the menu. You will get a popup informing you that your site and domain are not yet linked. To begin, click the “Show Me How” option.
HostGator will open a step-by-step tutorial on how to link your domain to your website. You just need to select “Verify Connection” if you registered your domain with HostGator since HostGator will change your DNS settings for you immediately.
If you're using a domain that is registered somewhere else, update the nameservers at your existing registrar according to the instructions and copy them to link your domain to HostGator.
Next, choose “Verify Connection.” Keep a look out for a verification email from HostGator in your inbox. Your domain ought to be linked to your new WordPress site and ready to go within 24 to 48 hours.
7. Install WordPress On A New Website
You just need to click “Edit Site” on your HostGator dashboard to access your WordPress site. You may then develop, update, and expand your WordPress website. To get you started, consider these three helpful steps:
1. Select A Theme
WordPress offers both free and premium themes. The entire style of your website is influenced by your theme, so select wisely! Always check the ratings to ensure that your theme is of high quality. Checking the WordPress version and the date of the theme's most recent update is also advised since out-of-date themes might introduce bugs or compromise security.
By hovering over “Appearance” and selecting “Themes,” you may access the theme collection straight from your WordPress dashboard. After that, choose “Add New” to explore and filter through various themes. Following your selection, click “Install” to get your theme. Once an ‘Activate' button appears beneath the theme, give it a moment or two. To utilize the theme on your website, click “Activate”!
2. Insert Content
The content of your site may be created by adding articles and pages. Pages tend to be static and significant pages that you want visitors to be able to discover quickly. Your homepage, about us page, contact page, and other pages are all examples of pages. Like blog postings, most posts are published in chronological order. To add new material to your WordPress dashboard, click “Add New” in either the posts or pages category.
3. Add Plugins
You get to pick and select the features you want your site to have since WordPress is like a blank canvas. You must install plugins to use features like contact forms, SEO tools, and social networking icons. There are more than 58,000 plugins available, so there's a good chance you'll discover what you need.
Check the ratings and update the history of your plugins, just as you would with WordPress themes, to make sure they are secure for usage on your website. Just be cautious not to overload your site with plugins since this will cause it to load slowly and might harm your site's Google results.
You now understand how simple it is to use HostGator's fantastic one-click install functionality to install WordPress. Since the procedure might first appear overwhelming, we've divided it into seven manageable stages.
The first one is visiting HostGator and choosing the best plan for you. We provided advice on choosing the best plan for you since making the proper choice up front may significantly impact the future.
What should I do after installing WordPress? This is a question you could have. Therefore, we added some tips for setting up your site in the last stage. Anyone can install WordPress with HostGator since the procedure is simple and user-friendly, particularly if you have our instructions. Enjoy the process!
I trust you enjoyed this article about the Install WordPress On HostGator – Tutorial. Would you please stay tuned for more articles to come?
Want to Learn How to Build Your Own Home-Based Online Business & Start Making Money Online From Your Comfortable Couch?
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Please leave me your questions, experiences, remarks, and suggestions about the Install WordPress On HostGator – Tutorial in the comments below. You can also contact me by email at Jeannette@WorkFromAnywhereInTheWorld.com.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full affiliate disclosure.