Introduction To The Best Home Office Lighting To Buy
It doesn’t matter what your business is. Whether you are selling houses to people, providing services, having a coffee shop, etc., there are some basics you need to have. One of the most important basics of your business is a comfortable and elegant office. This is where you can impress your clients and make them buy your products or services.
Everything is important when it comes to your office. The colours of the walls, the floors, the equipment you have, and furniture are all crucial. Your clients have a nice impression of your business if they feel relaxed in your office.
One of the most important aspects of your office is lighting. So, as a first rule, you have to equip your office with the best lighting devices in the market. So, the beauty of your lighting systems is the most important thing to consider.
What else should you consider? Well, the efficiency of your lighting systems is another vital aspect you have to think about. Your office needs to be eco-friendly too. In this way, you don’t have to spend too much on your office electricity.
There are many useful and efficient lighting products in the market right now. Do you like to know about them? Are you interested in having a nice lighting system? Don’t worry! We are going to learn about all the good things about a professional lighting system. Also, we will introduce some of the best products available in the market.
Different Types Of Office Lighting
There are six types of office lighting: natural light, ambient lighting, task lighting, accent lighting, under-cabinet lighting, and track lighting. What are the differences? Here are the most popular and common types of office lighting.
First of all, natural light comes from windows and/or skylights. Here you don’t need to install any lighting systems to benefit from it. However, it is possible to exploit sun shading by using sheer curtains, Venetian blinds, adjustable louvres, etc. the best thing is that natural light can make you save electricity during summer, which is light for many hours. Also, you will get enough Vitamin D.
It is sometimes called general lighting too. Ambient lighting usually comes from chandeliers, track lights, walls, and other ceiling fixtures. Ambient lighting is considered a primary source of light for your office. It is interesting to know that ambient lighting is responsible for the sense of warmth and depth in your office.
Task lighting has more specific responsibilities than ambient lighting. For example, sometimes, people want to stay in the office when everybody is gone. So, you don’t want to turn on all the lights. This is when you need task lighting. It only illuminates your table or your laptop. Therefore, the task lighting must be bright but not too glary for the eyes so you can read, write, and study. Halogen or LED bulbs are the most common types of task lighting.
This type of lighting is responsible for the aesthetic features of your office. Accent lighting is used to make your office more beautiful. For example, accent lighting focuses on particular objects or areas in your office.
For example, you have a precious painting in your office and want everybody to check it out. Accent lighting makes this object more projected to illuminating it in a specific way. Track lights and spotlights are two of the most common types of accent lighting.
We can also classify the lighting based on the technology we are using in them. Based on the technology, there are four types of lighting out there. Let's review them.
- We all have heard that fluorescent lighting usually harms our eyes. However, you might want to be patient about it and investigate more.
- One of the best characteristics fluorescent lighting has is the fact that it is very energy efficient.
- Also, they come in many different forms, including linear fluorescent tubes, fluorescent bent tubes, fluorescent circline tubes, and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs).
- The most common type of fluorescent lighting is the linear one used in overhead fixtures like troffers.
- We use this type in commercial offices, warehouses, hospitals, and retail stores.
- Its energy efficiency, variety of colour temperature, and low cost are some of the pros of fluorescent lighting.
- Also, colour shifting, harsh light, warm-up period, and environmental impact are cons.
Incandescent Light Bulbs
- Incandescent light bulbs glow when a wire filament is getting hot.
- It is the oldest type of lighting.
- This lighting works with a direct/alternating current.
- There is no external regulating equipment involved with meagre manufacturing costs.
- It is very low efficiency. That’s why they are not common for being used in offices.
- They are usually used for incubators, lava lamps, and the easy-bake oven toy.
- If you want to convey a sense of nostalgia, you might want to use them in some parts of your office but forget the light from them.
- Also, their lifetime is meagre. It stops illuminating rapidly.
Light-Emitting Diode (LED)
- These are semiconductor light sources.
- They have a long lifetime.
- These are very energy efficient since they convey electricity to light directly.
- The intensity and brightness are very high.
- They come in a very diverse range of colours.
- Also, the radiated heat is low in them.
The Importance of Good Office Lighting Or Effects Of Improper Office Lighting
You might not consider the importance of good office lighting very seriously. However, studies have shown that it impacts the aesthetic aspects of your office very rapidly as well as your employees' performance as they feel much more comfortable in the office. Here are some points about the importance of good office lighting. Before explaining these points, you need to ask about the effects of substandard office lighting. The Canadian Centre conducted a study for Occupational Health and Safety.
This study revealed that
- insufficient light for the workers' needs
- light more than the office and workers need
- improper contrast
- and poor distribution of light
are common lighting problems in offices. Believe it or not, there are some consequences for people who have to work with improper lighting in the office in the long term.
Even more revealing, the study has shown that workers can get motivated and energy to focus more and deliver the job faster and more professionally. And, very interestingly, lighting can contribute to depression and make people unable to respond to treatment of an exacerbation of psychiatric conditions. Now, let's see the benefits and importance of professional lighting.
Improved Accuracy And Concentration At Work
With a good lighting system, workers can work more accurately with more concentration. For example, the lamp on your desk can significantly increase your comfort. If the light is too much or not enough, you will not be able to type fast or write things precisely. Also, the light might get reflected and impact your eyes.
Reduced Risk Of Health Problems And Occupational Accidents
There are indirect influences of lighting in the office. For example, accidents might happen because you cannot see the area around you. Or, lighting can impact your skin and eyes. Your skin needs to receive a good amount of light, and if it doesn’t, you will have to face many skin conditions. The same is true with your eyes, as it can weaken your eyesight.
Brighter Workspace Resulting In A More Cheerful And Active Environment
Imagine that you are working in your office and it is cloudy outside. In this situation, with a nice lighting system, you can get out of the gloomy weather. Or, at night, lights can cheer you up and motivate you to work harder.
So far, so good. We got some basic information about lighting, didn’t we? Now, I will review some of the most practical and efficient products you can find on Amazon. You might want to see them appropriate for your office. Let's get started.
A desk lamp is one of the most basic things every table in an office must-have. It is crucial when we don’t want to rely on the light from other sources, or we just need to illuminate our desk, not other places. Here, I will review some of the most popular desk lamps I found on Amazon.
This is one of the most stylish desk lamps I found on Amazon. Amazon itself also suggests it. Let's review the most prominent characteristics associated with this product:
- It is from the brand TaoTronics.
- It costs $78.27
- It is equipped with LED lamps.
- The light beam is not fatiguing your eyes and without any flickers.
- It is used for working and studying.
- Amazingly, this product comes with 35 combinations, thanks to 5 and 7 colour modes and brightness levels, respectively. You just need to play a bit with it and find the best combination for yourself.
- Using LED lighting can interestingly save up to 75% of a traditional incandescent light bulb while giving the same illumination.
- You can have the lamp at any desired angle. And, changing the angle doesn’t make the lamp move thanks to the built-in base stabilizer.
- The design is amazing and can be used with almost any office style. Also, thanks to its awe-inspiring minimalistic design, you can fit it in any office without any problem.
- It is equipped with a touch control which makes it more convenient. Also, when you put it on a specific combination, you can turn it on with the same combination.
- The light beam can be directed in any location you want to stop your neck bending or turning too much. So, it avoids all physical problems associated with sitting behind a desk for so many years.
If you are interested, you can see the details of this product here. I tried just to mention the important ones:
- The product dimensions are 27.99 x 9.91 x 35.99 cm; 771.11 Grams.
- It has a modern style made out of plastic with black colour.
- It is 220 volts. And, it doesn’t have any batteries.
- The bulb, as we said, is LED.
- You can use it for work, study, bedtime reading, home, and living room.
- Finally, it weighs 771 g.
The appearance reminds you of classical lamps from many years ago. So, you might want to buy it if you are interested in the sense of nostalgia.
- It is from the brand Lepro Store.
- It costs $26.99.
- You can easily direct the light as you wish.
- It is both adjustable and stable at the same time.
- Another advantage of this lamp is this: it can be mounted to your table in two different ways. First, you can put it freely wherever you want without any limitation. However, there is also a second way. You can mount it at the edge of your desk. You can easily fix it thanks to a clamper. In this way, you will have more space on your table, and also it is cleaner to mount it in that way.
- This desk lamp can use different types of lights. They include LED bulbs, normal lights, or even Alexa smart bulbs. However, the wattage of lights cannot be more than 40W.
Here are some more details if you are interested.
- It is a bit heavy (1.83 kg).
- One of the product's unique features is the swingarm, which makes it very comfortable to move in any direction.
- The colour is black.
- The switch style is touch.
Lighting In The Ceiling
This is another important necessity in every office. Your ceiling must illuminate walls and the floors. How should we choose from all those products out there? Here, I am presenting an excellent example.
Airand Linkable LED Tube Light Batten Light 4FT 36W 3600LM Ceiling Light for Garage Office Cellar Shop Basement School Bathroom Restaurant Hotel Hostipatal, Ideal Indoor or Outdoor,120CM Natural White
This is one of the most popular brands/products. Let's review some of the basics about it.
- It is from the company Airand
- The products cost $39.99.
- This lamp is very easy to work with. For example, you can very easily mount it to the ceiling using two clips.
- Also, the product is very suitable for the long hall as you can connect 18 lamps.
- By mounting these lamps, you will be witness to a 90% decrease in your electricity costs.
- The energy consumption is low too.
- It is very resistant to moisture, water, and dust.
- There is no flicker involved in the 3600 lumens.
- It is very commonly used by many people in indoor as well as outdoor environments.
- You can use it for offices and also in the garage, basement, workshop, laundry room, warehouse, technical room, workbench, factory, parking, carport, recreation room, bathroom, living room, bedroom, storage rooms, garden, yard, shop, exterior wall, terrace, kitchen, hall, corridor, balcony, farm, etc.
- The size is 120 x 4.3 x 10 cm; 860 Grams.
- The colour in the natural wild is made out of plastic.
- It weighs 860 g.
- It is from the Airand store too.
- It costs $36.99.
- The light is responsible for producing a uniform and super bright light.
- There is no glare involved in the light. This is thanks to the milky plastic lampshade that protects your eyes from glaring light.
- With just using a 24W LED ceiling light (the equivalent of two 100W incandescent lamps) from this product, you will be able to save energy as much as 88%.
- It weighs 760 g.
- The switch installation type is a Flush mount.
- It is very energy efficient as it has got A+ from the EU Energy Efficiency label.
- As we said, the shade material is from plastic.
- The size is 26.5 x 26.5 x 5 cm.
Here are some novel and exciting products that every office needs to have.
What is it? Sometimes, we need to write or type while we are sitting behind computers. We don’t want to stare at the screen and use its light for typing or writing because it is dangerous. So, you need a light that could help you see better and isn't interfere with the screen light. Here are the basics of this product.
- It is from the brand BenQ Store.
- It costs $129.00.
- There are three variations to this product. They include lite (for Notebook), regular, and desktop controller.
- The light is easily attached to monitors. There is no screw or tape involved. So, you are sure your monitor Is not damaged.
- The thickness is just one to three centimetres which is not very observable.
- You can very easily power it with any USB outlet.
- The product is compatible with American National Standard practice for office lighting 500 lux recommendation, 1000 lux in the center.
- You might think the light from the product is going to interfere with the monitor screen. However, you should know that it comes with an asymmetrical optical design avoiding any bad effects on your screen.
- You can also adjust the colour according to your needs.
- It weighs 530 g.
- The colour is black.
- The product dimensions are 51 x 5 x 5 cm.
Sometimes, you need to aim for two goals with light. For example, you can decorate your office and illuminate it at the same time.
- It is from the brand Augone Store.
- It costs $64.42. Price may vary depending on size and colour.
- There are 120 LED globe lights in one string.
- The product is waterproof, without any overheating, and able to stop wasting energy. So, it is a very eco-friendly product.
- You can use it on many different occasions in your office.
- There are eight lighting modes for more decorative features.
- The product has a remote control.
- Also, the installation doesn’t take much time without any assembly needed.
- It weighs 560 g.
- The package dimensions are 20.1 x 12.3 x 8 cm.
As we said, every detail of your office does matter and is highlighted to your customers' sharp eyes. Everything from the colour of the walls and furniture to your appearance and images on the wall is important. Another important aspect of your office is lighting. It can influence your customers' first impression of your business and enhance your employees' performance at work.
In this article, we first talked about the importance of good lighting systems for your office. Then, we explained the different types of lights in the market. Finally, we introduced some of the most popular products on Amazon. From your desk to the ceiling and walls, you will have to have practical and eco-friendly lights.
I trust you enjoyed this blog post on the best home office lighting to buy. Please stay tuned for more articles like this to come soon. Take care!
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
I would love to hear from you. Please leave me your questions, experiences, remarks, and/or suggestions about the best home office lighting to buy in the comments section below. You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@WorkFromAnywhereInTheWorld.com.
You might also enjoy the following blog posts:
How To Set Up Your Home Office – 10 Easy Design Ideas
27 Ways To Create A Stylish Small Home Office